- To the Springer Opera House, April 7-17th, for the debut stage production of Mother of Rain.
- Do you have your tickets yet?
- If not, you can get those by contacting the Springer Opera House @ http://www.springeroperahouse.org/
- Do you have a place to stay?
- Mamie Pound at The Pound House, a lovely B&B, has made an offer for $205 a night. This includes breakfast and an afternoon reception, wireless, etc It’s a beautiful facility. http://www.
- There is a Marriott in Downtown Columbus: http://www.marriott.
- Those seeking a river view might try Courtyard Columbus Phenix City/Riverfront , it is $122 for dbl/ Playhouse is within walking distance .7 miles over the Hooch.
- Who is adapting the play?
- Paul Pierce, artistic director at the Springer, has written the stage adaptation. I, like all the other audience members, will be on hand to enjoy the creativity that the novel inspired. I am honored and thrilled to have Paul take on this project. I can’t wait to see his adaptation.
- Is there music?
- Yes. The Springer commissioned Kerry Phillips of Culver City, Calif. to produce music for the play. I wish I knew how to upload some of the early clips I’ve heard. Phillips has really captured the spirit of the mountain with his music.
- Who is directing the play?
- The multi-talented Kimberly Faith Hickman. Based in NYC, Kimberly’s credits include Broadway, Off Broadway, national tours and regional theatre productions across the country. Focusing on new and existing work by contemporary writers, including both plays and musicals, her directing and choreography work has been praised by Backstage and other news publications as “verbally and visually bursting with ideas”, “smartly staged”, “impeccable”, “deft,” “well paced” and “inventive and impressive.” On Broadway, Kimberly has worked on productions that earned 19 Tony® Award nominations combined. Off-Broadway she has worked on productions at Manhattan Theatre Club, Roundabout Theatre Company, Atlantic Theatre Company, Women’s Project, Epic Theatre Ensemble, Theatre Row and PTP / NYC at Atlantic Stage 2, as well as terraNOVA Collective, Horse Trade Theatre Group, Martin E. Segal Theatre Center, Tongue In Cheek Theater, Attic Theater Company, Origin Theatre Company, and Writopia Lab.
You can find out more about her at www.kimberlyfaithhickman.com
Who is starring in it?
- Melissa Saint-Amand is Maizee
- Donna Biscoe is Burdy
- Andy Harvey is Zebulon Hurd
- Griffeth Ian Whitehurst is Kade Mashburn.
- Stacy Cunningham is Leela-Ma
- Ari McClean as Wheedin.
It is good and necessary to be reminded that in quiet corners the world over, people are finding creative ways to challenge the danger of telling one story about a people. Mother of Rain is at its heart a story about community, what draws us together, what breaks our heart, what mends us and what binds us together again. It is a story of healing.
I do hope you will join us in Columbus in April for this debut. I will be attending the play on April 7th and 8th. I would love to see you there.