1. The FBI Dossier on Trump is unverifiable. It wouldn’t hold up in court.
2. Unverifiable is not the same as untrue.
3. This is not the same as a Birther movement. That was a conspiracy theory created by Trump to discredit O. This information is coming from the highest intelligence agencies in our nation and from a spy in Great Britain. That’s not made up. That’s not conspiracy. That’s factual.
4. Most investigative stories start out in similar fashions. A cop tells a reporter that there is corruption going on in City Hall. He provides a few details. She begins to do the work of investigating whether it can be substantiated or not.
5. It is the lousy reporter who fails to do everything in their power to turn over every rock to find the corruption the cop testified to. (Many of my best news stories started out just like this).
6. How many of you think every cop is crooked and brutalizes people? Right. Not a one of you. By the same token, not every Legislator is crooked. Are there some, perhaps too many? Yes. But there are plenty of good Senators and Congressmen/women out there who have seen the same thing you have seen and are equally nauseated and sick and deeply troubled by this.
7. Putin’s goal, as Obama has stated numerous times, is to create unstability in our government. That happens when we take an “us” & “them: approach to each other, to our government. Congress has children and grandchildren too. They have loved ones. They don’t want to be nuked anymore than you or I do. Not even Mitch McConnell or Paul Ryan.
8. We don’t get to give up. That defeatism will make our government unstable. We must get engaged. I know you feel like calling Congress doesn’t count but it does. It really does. They listen to you. Look at the Ethics Commission. How they intended to do away with that and WE THE PEOPLE stopped them. Look at the Affordable Care Act, how they planned to abolish it, but now are more prone to think they have to replace it immediately. That’s because WE THE PEOPLE spoke up. If the People didn’t take to the streets during the Vietnam War, we’d have a 100,000 names on that Wall. Our voice matters.
9. Action Plan: You call your Legislators and tell them you expect them to investigate this and to hold Trump accountable. That we can’t have a president who is at risk of being blackmailed or is beholden to Russia. He will have to be sworn in. Our laws don’t allow for anything else. But they can begin impeachment proceedings immediately. Tell them you expect that.
10. This is where integrity matters. Trump’s best supporters know that he lies constantly. So now, when the critical moments hit, this is where his integrity matters and he has none. He has lied so much to so many that no one believes him when he says that he didn’t do these things. Truth will always find you out because there are always honest people who can’t be bought off.
Action: Call Senators today. Tell them that now more than ever you are concerned about Rex Tillerson’s association with Russia. Tell them to not confirm Tillerson. Tell them that Russia is threatening the fabric of our social contract. No to Tillerson. Trump must be impeached. 202.224.3121. Feel free to copy and share.
is a Georgia-raised Gold Star daughter whose work has been featured in the New York Times, CNN, National Public Radio, The Diane Rehm Show & Good Morning America.
Her debut novel, MOTHER OF RAIN (Mercer), received the Weatherford Award for Best in Appalachian Fiction and was adapted for the stage by Paul Pierce of Georgia’s Historic State Theater, The Springer. A sequel to that work, CHRISTIAN BEND (Mercer), is forthcoming in 2017.
She has worked as a journalist for various newspapers around the country and as a guest lecturer at Central Washington University, Ellensburg, Wa.
Her true crime story, KARLY SHEEHAN, will be the focus of an upcoming TV special. Karen is at work on her ninth book. Read More
Karly Sheehan: True Crime Story Behind Karly’s Law (Redbird Publishing) “Beautifully written by a very talented investigative journalist. Karen has given us Karly’s legacy, that of a small, bright spirit who loved and was loved. And yet destroyed by heedless caretakers. A must read. Compelling and heartbreaking.” Ann Rule, NYT author, Don’t Look Behind You and […]
Mother of Rain: A Novel (Mercer University Press) “Beautifully drawn Appalachian characters, a strong sense of time and place, and a deeply important and universal theme: the interconnection of our actions and guilt (the patchwork quilt image). Like Blake, Zacharias deals with the complexity of the “fearful symmetry”, adding a profundity to her tale that […]
Will Jesus Buy Me a Doublwide? ‘Cause I need more room for my plasma TV (Zondervan) “I have been a ‘have’ and a ‘have-not’ in my live. I have found in my walk with the Lord, as Karen illustrates so well in these beautiful stories, that the riches he desires for us have nothing to […]
Where’s Your Jesus Now? (Zondervan) “Heartbreaking and witty, full of compassion and righteous outrage. It’s a fascinating book.” AJ Jacobs, author of The Year of Living Biblically “Karen Zacharias has testified! This book is funny, fierce, and fearless. My stomach hurts from laughing, and my heart aches from finding the truth.” Doug Crandell, author of Hairdos of the […]
After the Flag has been Folded (William Morrow) “A relentless narrative, brilliantly written and paced, told by a daughter whose father was killed in action in Vietnam and the devastating effect it had on the author and her family. I am giving this book to my daughters.” Pat Conroy “A dead-honest, raw-edged memoir on how the […]